Cass County DUI Lawyer
You never know when you might need the help of a DUI lawyer. Driving while intoxicated (DWI), or driving under the influence (DUI), is illegal in Missouri. Irresponsible drivers can face serious penalties if convicted. You could lose your license, spend time in jail, be placed on probation, or be ordered to pay expensive fines.
Being charged with a DWI is frightening, but a DUI lawyer can give you the help you need. A DUI attorney can help you face down your charge and guide you through the criminal court system. If you are worried about a DWI charge going on your record, a DUI lawyer can help. We can help you understand your rights, understand the penalties of a conviction, and represent you in court hearings.
What Can a DWI/DUI Lawyer Do?
When you're facing DWI charges, it's important to contact an experienced DUI defense attorney right away. Your lawyer can help educate you and protect your rights during this difficult time. You have the right to a fair defense and if you’re trying to avoid a conviction, there are defenses available. Never sign the first plea agreement that comes your way without first consulting your attorney.
Here are some defenses that could be used when you’ve been charged with a DWI:
- Illegal stop
- Police procedural errors
- Your rights were violated during the arrest
- Mistaken identity
- Mistake of fact
- Not enough evidence to convict
- Chain of custody issues involving specimens
Penalties You Could Face if Convicted of a DWI in Missouri
DUI charges should be taken seriously because they come with some pretty severe penalties (Missouri Department of Revenue).
- A first-time DWI offense conviction will result in a 90-day license suspension. You could also be placed on probation, be ordered to pay fines and complete community service, and be ordered to complete a substance abuse treatment class.
- Subsequent DWI convictions come with harsher penalties, which could include jail time, prison time, loss of your driver’s license or revocation of your driving privileges, and more.
Don’t make the mistake of failing to take your charge seriously because you could face severe consequences.
A DWI Conviction’s Impact on Your Life
A DUI lawyer can help you understand how a DWI conviction or DUI conviction can have an impact on your life besides the legal consequences.
- You could lose your job or have difficulty securing a job due to your criminal record.
- You could be forced to install an ignition interlock device in your car, and your driving record could be negatively impacted.
- Friends may look at you differently, and your family could go through hardships.
- You could also be financially impacted due to hefty fines and the loss of a job.
- Your mental health could suffer, and your quality of life could decline.
- Other legal problems could follow if you don’t fulfill court obligations or pay off your court fines.
What Is the Process Like After Being Charged With a DWI?
The legal process begins after an arrest has been made and formal charges are filed. You will either be taken into custody or issued a subpoena to attend court at a specific date and time; if you have a DUI lawyer, they can represent you during these hearings in order for you to achieve the best possible outcome.
After these hearings, you may experience:
- A dismissal of charges
- Additional hearings
- Plea agreement negotiations
- A trial
If you and your DUI attorney decide it’s in your best interest to sign a plea agreement, your lawyer will work to get you the best possible deal. If taking your case to trial is the best choice, your attorney will prepare you and your case for trial.
A Missouri DUI trial includes various stages, such as opening statements, witness statements, presentation of evidence, cross-examination, closing statements, verdict, and sentencing if applicable.
Going to court can be scary, but it is the right step in some cases. For other DUI cases, the right step could be a plea agreement. Your lawyer will examine every aspect of your case to help you determine the best course of action for you. Talk to a DUI lawyer now for help with a Missouri DUI case.
A Criminal Defense Lawyer in Cass County Can Help
Don’t despair if you have been charged with a DUI or DWI in Cass County. A criminal defense attorney at our firm can build a DUI defense case on your behalf, working to get you a positive case outcome. Clayton A. Jones is a DUI attorney who has handled countless DWI cases and is happy to fight for you. A public defender doesn’t have the time or resources to do justice to your case and will not likely be able to fight as hard to keep a DUI conviction off your record.
Our law firm offers a free case consultation to those who reach out, so learn more about how we can help you with your legal problems by giving us a call now.